Monday, September 3, 2012

When Jack met Daphne - from Jack Canon All In


Like earlier, when Lisa and I walked into the salon the young women who walked over to greet us made quite an impression. Her movements caught my eye as we entered and I secretly hoped she’d be interacting with us. Walking like it was an art form she slinked her way toward the front reception area and strangely unlike most people the closer she got the better she looked. An all black mini dress barely covered her. From a high collar it scooped ultra low backless loosely draping her bottom revealing some of her sides and lowest back.

I could make out a couple tattoos without trying to hard. They were both in handwritten script; one across the exposed part of her foot read butterflies. The writing flowed beautifully at the angle of her heels. The other – four lines of a story centered across her ribs. Normally I don’t even like tattoos, now I’m fantasizing about tracing the letters with my tongue and tasting her skin. - Once upon a time a girl got her heart broken…
Her hair was gorgeous, she wore it mid back length, stick straight, with bangs just touching the top of her softly brushed brows. Crazy, I’ve never liked black hair before, but I was fascinated by the shine.
Close up her face looked smooth as silk, like it was in soft focus. Her delicate features reminded me of a new fawn with giant eyes and a turned up nose. I thought the lighting must be magnificent in here so I looked over at Lisa to test the theory.
Lisa shot me a look like don’t you dare compare me to her. It wasn’t the lighting.
Face to face I focused on her steely blue eyes under large lids covered in smoky dark charcoal.
Her body language was saying no, quickly twitching her head. She looked Lisa up and down like she was nothing, and then briefly turned a dismissive glance towards me.
Through high gloss lips, that were a perfect match for a hot pink scarf she wore, she asked,
"What can we do for you today?"
I hadn’t heard a tone that condescending in years. I wasn’t used to being treated like that. The problem was, she had an attitude like we couldn’t believe. I thought, how can something all wrong, be so perfect.
Lisa seemed a little uncomfortable too. Then, I remembered, with my Boston Cap and Ray-Bans, I’m as invisible as any other middle aged guy would be to a girl her age.
As I was removing my sunglasses and cap, Lisa said sheepishly,
"Do you have anything available now for a walk in?"
"Right now?" Over a look like you can’t be serious.
"Well we’re on our lunch hour," Lisa managed.
During the verbal exchange I was scanning the salon for eye contact with anyone in charge. A man came quickly over,
"To what do we owe the pleasure today?"
The pink lips said, "I was just telling them we have nothing avail…"
"Nonsense," he said. Bumping her aside with his hip he moved directly to the middle of the counter.
"I’m Jean Claude, I’ll take it from here Daphne!" Shooting her an if looks could kill glance, he turned to us,
"Daphne does not realize that she may have just told the next President of the United States that we can’t help him. That will never do!"
He clapped his hands in the air quickly saying to Daphne,
"Get my station ready! I will take you myself, follow me."
Jean Claude was unfazed by the beauty and dismissed her out of hand. While an assistant was shampooing Lisa, Jean Claude stood by telling me that he was a big fan of the campaign and that he wanted to volunteer.
Following Daphne’s movement around the salon like I was on surveillance, I told him why we came to the mall and hinted that he could help by shopping with Lisa if he was serious. To my surprise he said,
"Sure but first we must take care of this hair!"
Once the shampoo was finished he walked Lisa over to an antique brass and white leather Barber Chair and sat her down in front of a large Victorian mirror. Turning to face only me he mouthed the words,
"Call 9-1-1."
Jean Claude gingerly told Lisa that her grown out Bob Hairstyle was lifeless and the color drab. He emphasized the word boring making it into two very distinct syllables. Lisa was very engaged in what he was saying. He was very attentive and took his time exploring the structure of her face giving her a lot of TLC. I stayed as long as I could to give moral support while they were deciding what to do. After about twenty minutes of expressively showing her pictures, waving his hands and even threatening not to go shopping did he end up convincing her. The plan sounded a little drastic so I was careful to stay out of it in case of a less than desirable result.
While Jean Claude was busy with Lisa, Daphne made her way over to me,
"I’m Daphne Cole Senator. I’m so embarrassed that I didn’t know who you were. Some of the girls filled me in."
"I told her, your better off not to worry about politics," and changed the subject. Motioning back toward Lisa, speaking under my breath,
"Daphne, he’s getting a taste of how conservative she is. I was surprised she agreed to something so dramatic."
I turned to Lisa and Jena Claude,
"You know the smell of perm solution and nail polish remover is beginning to gag me. I thought I could stay for the whole process but I think it would be better if we just set a time and place to meet. How about I head over to Barnes and Noble and meet you there whenever you’re done."
"Are you sure Jack?" Lisa asked.
"Absolutely this will be great," I said. Then I turned to Daphne who was patiently waiting,
"If you get a chance come down and join me for coffee."
"I’ll try," she said, "I get my break in about a half hour."
"Ok then everybody’s all set." I looked into Daphne’s eyes,
"Maybe I’ll see you in a few," with that I put on my sunglasses and Boston Cap and headed off.
When we met later Lisa looked amazing. Jean Claude had dressed her in a wild form fitting animal print dress and matching spike heels. The print looked like Giraffe to me. The large dark and light shapes really showed off her figure. She had a cute shape under all those clothes, anyway it was better than I thought. He had reshaped her hair cutting it very short in back with steep angles sloping down toward the front. He lightened the color and added chunky blonde highlights. Jean Claude was also a talented make up artist and did her eyes sort of like Daphne’s. The only difference he told her was to use cocoas, copper and violets instead of the charcoals to bring out her big brown eyes. When Lisa saw me she dropped her bags and ran over and hugged me like I’d saved her from drowning. We all picked up the bags, Lisa interlocked one arm in mine and one with Jean Claude. We were all happy and I was smiling at her thinking I’d have our deal closed in no time. I was really glad for Lisa. Just then Emma showed up.

No comments:

Post a Comment